Friday, June 26, 2009

Grandma's Meatballs

Margaret requested this family favorite. Here you go, friend!

First some history though...

When I was expecting our first child, my precious friend- "Lady Di"- made this for our family. We loved it so much she made it for our baby shower. She also made it again for my husband while I was recovering from delivery. (emergency c-section)

When we moved to go pastor a church she sent the recipe with me. It is my oldest son's all-time favorite meal. Nothing else comes close. I think it is ironic that it is his most requested meal as it was because of him we ever had it in the first place.

Thanks, Di! We think of you every time we make it. And we always double the batch. (We LOVE leftovers!)

Ingredients for the meatballs:

1/2 can evaporated milk (3/4 cup)
1 cup quick cook oatmeal
minced onion to taste
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine well, shape into balls and place in 9x13 pan.

Ingredients for the barbecue sauce:

1 cup catsup
1 cup brown sugar
onion powder
1 tsp. liquid smoke (found in catsup/barbecue aisle)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Heat on stove until mixture is smooth. Do not overcook!
Pour over the meatballs.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Enjoy!

And in case you wanted to know...we always serve it with cream cheese mashed potatoes. Scrumptious! We also frequently triple the sauce, but only double the meatballs.

Thanks for stopping by,

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Those sound great! Gonna have to try them! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and thanks for saying where to find the liquid smoke! You would think after almost 12 years of marriage I would know where to find that stuff... but I never make a recipe that calls for it because I dont want to hunt the grocery store for it! LOL! So now I will try this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told everyone where to find it because someone had to tell me! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to visit. It is an honor to have you drop by. We would love to hear from you.
If you do not have a Google account you can still sign in by clicking on "anonymous". Just be sure to leave your name in your post so I know who stopped by.
Thanks again, Jennie