Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chicken Tettrazini

My favorite cook...He's so cute! (And he is soooo very thrilled I put this picture on the blog!)

From time to time I would like to share some of our favorite recipes. I love getting recipes from other ladies that are their family's absolute favorites. I tend to like to try recipes that people I know have proven, tried and loved more than I like to try recipes from other sources. We love spices and seasonings, but we are no gourmet cooks in any way.

I am also blessed to be married to a man who cooks. I did not know there was such a thing growing up. :) Mom did all the cooking in our home growing up. Then I married Rick and he certainly surprised me! His specialties are breakfast and anything grilled. He also loves to create new recipes. (His cheese and bacon topped venison was amazing!)

All that to say, Margaret asked for a couple of recipes and I thought I would post them here.

This first one is called Chicken Tettrazini. I was served some here in a Maine a few years ago by a dear friend. Delicious! So many of my favorite things in one pan! I enjoyed it often until she moved. I did not have a recipe, so I did some research. After reading several different recipes nd remembering the one my friend used to make I came up with my own recipe. I probably never make it the same way twice as I tend to cook by formula as opposed to exact recipe.

One more side note...
I always make 2 9x13 pans as we love to cook once and enjoy having leftovers the next day. So, if you want less you would need to adjust the recipe.

Chicken Tettrazini

Ingredients:

2 lbs. of cooked spaghetti (we use thin or angel hair, any kind will do)
2-3 lbs. of cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (we season ours with salt, pepper and garlic)
1 large can of Cream of Chicken soup (or 2 small)
1 16oz. carton of sour cream
1 stick of butter
Milk
parmesan cheese
2-3 sleeves of crushed Ritz crackers (all crackers are NOT created equal-Ritz is the best in this dish as it holds up better than my personal favorite, Town House)
your favorite shredded cheddar cheese ( we love a cheddar and Jack blend)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put the cooked spaghetti in the pans. Shred or dice the chicken and layer it on top of the pasta. Add parmeasan cheese.

In a large saucepan, heat through the sour cream, butter, soup, and a can of milk and a can of water. (The can being the soup can.) Pour over the spaghetti and chicken. Layer on the shredded cheese and finish with the crushed crackers.

Bake for one hour.

We think this is one of those dishes that is even better the next day.

Thanks for stopping by,

4 comments:

  1. My mom has Tamara Keatings Tettrazini recipe if I am not mistaken. I had it but lost it the last time I made it because I dropped it in the pot...(don't ask LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Margaret just told me she got this recipe from you :) She's fixing it tonight and we'll be fixing it soon to try :) I've been looking for more chicken recipes seeing as to how my husband LOVES chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie,
    I tried this recipe out on the boys and they really liked it. I am going to have to cut it down next time so that there will not be so much of it. The boys added ketchup to theirs and they said that tomorrow they are going to add mustard to it.

    Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I really enjoyed it as well. If you have anymore recipes, please post.

    Love,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to visit. It is an honor to have you drop by. We would love to hear from you.
If you do not have a Google account you can still sign in by clicking on "anonymous". Just be sure to leave your name in your post so I know who stopped by.
Thanks again, Jennie