Saturday, July 11, 2009

More Odds and Ends




Well, I have joined the ranks of Facebook.

I didn't think I ever would, but my Grandma invited me! My Grandma loves to stay abreast of the latest technology. My Bramma is cool! ;) I had to join to keep up with her!

I set up a page and found myself OVERWHELMED with how many people I know there. Obviously, Facebook is much bigger than I knew.

And looking around made me love my blog all the more. I love the simplicity-the layout-the design options-and the community.

So, while I definitely enjoy "howdying" with family and long-lost friends on Facebook, I am quite content to spend the majority of what time I claim on the computer here in bloggerland.

I like to think of this blog as one of my "pleasant places" in life. (Cute, huh?)

--------------------------------------------

I have been meaning to mention for awhile a couple of wonderful free on-line resources from a trusted site.

Both of these are from Evangelist Allen Domelle. If you like good preaching that's what he delivers.

He has two things I would like to share with you. The first is a
daily devotional sent to your e-mail box every morning. My husband especially enjoys these. You can subscribe here.

He also puts out a monthly on-line newspaper with articles for men, women and teens. I think it is wonderful that it is free. It is obviously a lot of work on his part and the paper is very first class. It would be well worth your time to check it out here.

----------------------------------------------

I have had a fair amount of feedback about my Mommy Moolas post from a few places. I have a few more ways that I remembered that we use our Moola system and thought I would share it here. I have also added this update to the original post for anyone who wants to use it as a reference point.

A few other things that I pay moolas for are as follows:
--My children drink water, juice and milk throughout the day, but they do not tend to drink as much water as I would like. If I say water is the only option the kids tend to drink little or none at all. I now pay a moola for every cup of water they drink. I showed them how much I considered to be a cup and we go on the honor system. I saw a wonderful jump in their water intake and no one was foolishly drinking 50 cups to earn some fast cash. ;) They record each cup they drink on the chart we put out daily.

--With six children, we go through a lot of cups each day. I pay one moola at the end of the day to any child who uses the same cup all day long. In the morning they each pick out a cup for the day (I have lots of variety so it is easy to pick out something different from everybody else.) and they leave it on a certain area of the counter all day long. I now only run the dishwasher once a day. Yeah!

--We rarely allow our children soda, but they do get to go out to eat from time to time and they would get soda during these times for a variety of reasons. I wanted to encourage them to order water on their own instead of a sugar drink. To make it worth the "sacrifice" I pay 20 moolas anytime they willingly choose water at a restaurant as their beverage. They drink water now about 80% of the time they eat away from home and it is no longer something that has to be discussed when we go out. They want the water because they want the moolas! This is also nice because my older boys are having more opportunities to go out and I am glad to hear they are making wise choices without Mom.

----------------------------------------------
Three days in a row without rain! The boys spent a long time this afternoon doing their favorite thing. This is why we bought the basketball hoop...



Jesse and Kemuel came over to play.



He is not going anywhere with that ball!



Daddy walking down to the church to close up for the day. They are all going to "help" him..




Stopping at the swings on the way back...



Coming back home.



Joshua found an electronic Tetris game. He looked so intent. I think the noise and screen really grabbed his attention.


It has been a busy, happy and productive day. It ended with a cook-out and five haircuts. I do our boys but I am too nervous to do Rachel's hair. Any tips from those who cut their daughter's hair?

I went to get Joshua ready for bed and noticed he was whining. He gets upset alot, but doesn't usually whine. I picked him up and noticed how warm he was. His fever is over 102 degrees. Where did that come from?!? So, I will be home tomorrow. It will give me lots of reasons to baby my baby. Please pray that this fever does not spread through the house.

Hi, Heidi! It is good to "see" you again! How have you been?

Hi, Kelly! I sure do miss you! Are you still in Maine or did you move? How is Nigel? I love you and think of you often.

And to everyone else...I would love to hear from you! Let us know once in awhile if you stop by.

Have a wonderful Lord's day!



Thanks for stopping by,

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I will come up with "Mandy Moolah" for each glass of water I drink to motivate MYSELF LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, joined the ranks of facebook recently, just out of curiosity. I deactivated my account two days later. I could feel the pull and I just don't have the time. (Plus, my husband told me to get rid of it - he knows me better than I do a lot of the time.) I feel a lot safer in my simple little blog community, too.

    I'll be home with a sick boy tomorrow too. He's downright miserable and pulling on his ear.

    Too bad we weren't neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!!!! Will you come to my funeral when I drown? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many "Mommy Moolahs" does that get me? But for your convenience, I accept all major credit cards!!!! J/K!!! ......sort of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I left facebook because it was so overwhelming.....I too enjoy blogging much better. Slower pace and easy to follow.

    Thanks for the other tips on your Mommy Moolas.
    Have a great wk.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea about the water and then the same cup all day! That is great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennie,just letting you know that I'm so happy you made it to facebook. The main reason being that so many of our family members are there and that makes it very special for me and now I know they will be returning the visit to your wonderful, " Special Places ".
    Hugs,Bramma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to visit. It is an honor to have you drop by. We would love to hear from you.
If you do not have a Google account you can still sign in by clicking on "anonymous". Just be sure to leave your name in your post so I know who stopped by.
Thanks again, Jennie