Thursday, May 21, 2009

Special Day, Sweet Memories




Twelve years....

...since we started this journey called parenthood.

...since we first looked into the eyes of this amazing son.

...of unlearning everything we thought we knew about parenting, in order to learn that we really didn't know anything.

...of turning my head every time I hear someone call, "Mommy!"

...of realizing how desperately I need God in order to rear these six precious children.

...of changing diapers every single day.

...of coming to the realization that the responsibilities of parenting are much more fulfilling than the freedom I had "before children".

...of never being guaranteed a full night's sleep-and learning that I can live on less sleep than I ever thought I could.

...of taking the time to cut my little ones' dinner into bite-size pieces and making sure it is cool enough not to burn little tongues....only to find my own dinner cold again. ;)

...of realizing that my own parents are the greatest people in the world and beginning to realize the depths of their sacrifices for my siblings and I.

...of being aware that I am turning into my mother as I hear myself saying the exact words to my children that she used to say to me.

...since I realized that the "Mother's Look" is something that just comes naturally. No practice needed!

...have passed since my purse went from a small cute thing that held my wallet and mints.....to an all-in-one bag that carries band-aids, medicines, insurance cards, kleenex, clippers......you get the picture! ;)

...of loving my husband more each day as I watch what an amazing father he has become. What a sweet thrill to hear my four year old say, "I want to grow up to be a Daddy!"

...since I have spoken in whole uninterrupted sentences. I only like to talk on the phone with other mothers of small children....no apologies are necessary.

...since I became aware that I am in the fastest and most precious years of my life!


Every year on my oldest child's birthday, I have so many memories flooding my mind. I anticipated motherhood as eagerly as anyone. I loved being pregnant--people told me I glowed. The labor and delivery was scary--it was literally a close to death experience. My dear husband suffered for a few very lonely hours wondering if his wife or baby would make it. I remember when we were finally together as a family for the first time-how thankful we were for the gift of life. I remember how God miraculously provided all our needs during that time. I remember my husband going baby shopping while Ricky and I were still in the hospital for several days. Someone said we would need lots of baby socks.....so he bought ALOT of baby socks. Ricky had the warmest baby feet ever!

So many stories I could tell...but let me tell you a bit about Ricky. He is the greatest big brother. He looks out for those younger and weaker than himself. He is extremely responsible. He is a straight A student and devours books at an amazing rate. He reads almost 700 words a minute. He has amazing character-much more than I. I am often convicted with the way he sets a goal and then goes for it. He does not get side-tracked. He is not perfect, but quickly repents of wrong doing. He strives to please the authoritities in his life. He is not afraid to try new things. He is everybody's best friend. He loves all sports. He loves playing "army" and G.I. Joes. He loves the color green. He enjoys Doritos and loves pickles.

He tells corny jokes and he is quick to laugh. He appreciates "guy humor". He thinks his Dad is the greatest man in all the world. He loves to teach Jack and Jonathan and is very patient with them. He absolutely love his grandparents. He loves "man food"---no macaroni and cheese for this guy. So, his birthday dinner will consist of his favorites: homemade barbecued meatballs, cream-cheese mashed potatoes, crescent rolls, vegetables, cinnamon applesauce and German Chocolate Cake.

For his birthday(and Ryan's) Daddy got a basketball hoop--something we have been wanting for a long time. We gave it to them a day early (Ricky's birthday is Friday) because tomorrow's schedule would make it hard to have time to assemble it. So today in our 92 degree heat we put together our hoop. We have some very excited boys! (And, yes, that includes Dad!)












































It is hard for Daddy to get ready for soul winning with his boys playing basketball. ;)















Happy Birthday, Ricky! We sure are proud of you.



Thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

  1. Jen--What beautiful words from a mothers heart. Wait until you watch them as adults..it never stops getting better!
    Ricy--Happy Birthday oldest grandchild. You are indeed a treasure to us all.
    Rick--Thank you for all you do for so many and for being a great son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your list so much and could relate to so much of it. I'm also enjoying the opportunity to "meet" some of your children. Isn't it amazing to see the children of people you played with in your own childhood?
    Happy birthday to your Ricky!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to visit. It is an honor to have you drop by. We would love to hear from you.
If you do not have a Google account you can still sign in by clicking on "anonymous". Just be sure to leave your name in your post so I know who stopped by.
Thanks again, Jennie