
I have lots of heroes.
I love to tell people what I admire and appreciate about them. So many people have touched and influenced my life. I am nothing but the sum total of all those I have come in contact with.
And though I have many preachers, Christian ladies, family members and friends that I consider heroes, one hero has stood above the rest in recent months. And that is my Sarah.
My sister has always been great. I have not always been a very nice big sister. I have been selfish many times---my sister does not even know how to be. I have been impatient--she makes excuses for me. When I have been thoughtless, she takes the blame.
But those wonderful things do not make her my hero.
My dictionary has several definitions of hero,including: remarkably brave person, somebody who has shown great courage, somebody who is admired and looked up to for outstanding qualities.
You see, my sister is a remarkably brave person. Always has been. She has suffered through many mysterious health ailments as the years came and went...but this year has been different. This year the ailments had names. And this year she discovered that these names will always be a part of her life's journey. But she is brave. So she fights. And she prays. And she changes her diet. And she endures painful treatments. And she tells you that she is fine.
She has reason to complain. Well, by human standards that is. But even if we say it's okay to complain, she does not. Today I walked a mile. I do not like to exercise and was anxious to be done, but then I remember that a few months ago my sister could not walk down her driveway....and I praise God I can walk a mile.
As I change yet another diaper, I am reminded of how she could not do that for a time for her own sweet baby.
As I prepare food for my family, I remember Sarah's rejoicing that the treatments had help her to improve so much that she could now chop a few vegetables and at least help with dinner preparations.
She has been through so much this year, and the year in not even halfway done. Yet, she completely trusts in our great God. She trusts His plan is best. And though she may not have chosen this path, she knows that He will carry her all the way.
I will never forget that day when as a six year old girl sitting on a yellow couch my Mom handed me a little bundle to hold. She said that I had a little sister. I fell in love with her that day. But I am not sure of the exact day that my little sister became my hero. I just know that her life, her character, her godliness, her faith and her absolute selflessness has captured my respect and admiration. I feel like the little sister as I look up to her and strive to be more like her.
So, today I thank God once again for placing me in the same family as this great lady. I am thankful I get to watch her life up close. She is a submissive wife, a loving mother and godly friend...but today I dwell on the fact that she is my hero.
"I had fainted unless I believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD." Psalm 27:13-14
Thanks for stopping by,










Beautiful, Jennie. What a precious tribute. I wish I could know you both better now that we are all adults/wives/mothers.
ReplyDeleteHow special Jennie. I just wanted to let you know, I am praying for Sarah, and I know God will take care of her and get her through whatever His plan is for her.
ReplyDeleteHey Jen, I stumbled onto your blog the other day. I have enjoyed reading it! You have a great way with words!! That is for sure!.. Anyways, How is Sarah doing? What has she been diagnosed with? Next time you talk to her .. tell her Im praying for her!
ReplyDeleteMissy =)