I teach a children's club at our church. (I absolutely LOVE it! Just thought you'd want to know that. LOL)
It uses a devotional system that the children do each day. This curriculum only goes nine months of the year-so this poses a bit of a problem. Some children come from homes where their parents make sure they spend some time each day in God's Word. Other children will never have a devotion time unless there is some system and accountability. I strive to have them do daily devotions for two reasons:
1. It is good for them to do.
2. We have a badge system and this helps them towards earning them.
I have a few ideas about what to do with my upcoming span of time, but would love to hear ideas from others if you have any.
So, here is the question...Do you have any good ideas for implementing daily devotions for about 30 children? It needs to be something that can be checked on weekly. The age range is from 4-12. It could even be something with different ranges of difficulty for the younger and older. It would also be good if it required minimal parental involvement because a few of the children won't get help at home.
I am also curious about what others do for their own children's personal devotions. We like to change things up from time to time for variety. If you want to share ideas, I will gladly listen!
And, Stacy, thanks for tagging me! I have a funny story about that...I will share it later. :)
Thanks for stopping by,










Hey Jennie,
ReplyDeleteSomething I used when our children were 4 to 7 was a color coded chart for devotions.
I know this would work for those who's parents help them, but I had them read a Prov a day. I helped out alot especially with the 4 yr olds. Then they had to write one sentence about the chapter, the older ones wrote a paragraph.
For the older ones we used and still use a childrens devotional by um.....I think it's the Walkers maybe someone else. I'll have to ask one of the kids in the morning if I see their book. I'll let you know for sure then.
Another thing I've done, is have each child pick their favorite book of the Bible and pending the length, depends how long they have to read it and then write a paragraph or so on what they learned from that book. This one was most enjoyed during the summer months.
Jennie,
ReplyDeleteJust read this post, busy week, but wanted to respond. We came across Glow Books from Kevin Alberts church in Bloomington Indiana. They have a series called Glow Jr. that we have used with our boys. It has a passage of scripture for each day, a memory verse (that lasts 3-4 days) and a short story usually explaining what was taught in the bible...it also includes a little puzzle or game at the end. My kids love them. They have another way to use the devotional books too. Last year, they came out with a leaders manual for using the Glow books as something similar to a Junior church manual. The leaders book includes songs and lots of other different ideas, but they tie into the personal devotional books. I'm going to check now to see if I can find a link, then I'll post it here. I'm not real good with computers though, so you may need to look it up. I'll see what I can do. They're great though!! They do make them for teenagers too...and the articles are written by leaders in local churches.
Found it!! I hope this works for you..if not, go to glow publications and on the right side there will be a link to look at the Glow Junior books.
ReplyDeletehttp://glowpublications.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=49
I also found a link on the right to the leaders guide. It lists what is in the book. Pretty interesting too.
ReplyDelete