Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What If.....

I will never forget sitting in college chapel one day and one of my favorite student soloists got up to sing. That particular day she sang a song I had never heard before. It was titled "What If Someone Had Not Shared?"

I was mesmerized by the message as my mind journeyed back to that day that someone shared with my family the Greatest Story ever told.

You see, the story of my family is that someone cared enough to knock on doors in middle class America in order to spread the Gospel. The new preacher in town who was starting a church in his home came by with one of his deacons. My parents were saved because these two men cared enough to come by and knock. And my parents jumped into everything the church had to offer. And this four year old girl observed the many changes her parents made over the next few years and concluded that God must be real.

Our family has traveled an incredible journey. We have had our ups and downs. Our imperfections seem to stare us in the face more often than we would like. But God has blessed the Nesbitts beyond all measure! Our family has all attended Christian schools and Bible college. We have seen hundreds of people saved and baptized. We children have grown up and married fantastic Christian spouses. We are all involved in full-time Christian work and are now rearing the third generation for God.

And it is all because one man heeded God's voice. One man said, "I will go."



I could never adequately express my gratitude to Pastor Tom Asbury. Where would I be if he had not cared? Who would I be now if he had not obeyed? How drastically different my life would have been if he had simply NOT gone that day.

But he went. And we were changed.


(My Dad and Pastor Asbury)


I am grateful to his family who made his pastoring possible. They opened their home and their hearts. I am so thankful.

So often I have failed to go. Too often I failed to knock. Excuses are easy to come by and Satan is a ready supplier. But I must strive to do better. I must reach out. I must do my part.

Because someone shared with me.....

...And I am forever changed.


Thanks for stopping by,

6 comments:

  1. So True, Jennie. As Christians we all have the what if testimony & if we would remind ourselves of it more often, we wouldn't leave such an open door for fear to step in. Thanks. Love you & think of you often up there. ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie, Your favorite cousin here. This is my first comment on any post. Even my wifes. I've often thought of Pastor Asbury and how thankful I am for him being where God wanted him back in those days. Not only was my family reached by your family but my wifes family was reached by Pastor Asbury also. Think of all the influnce one man can have. Your cousin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this to Dad..what a beautiful blog. We are all so blessed because of Pastor Tom. I love reading what you write and hearing what is on my daughters heart. Love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also thankful for him and you. Just the other night I was telling Megan how my cousin Jennie had told me about Jesus and heaven. I remember being in your room and you took me down to the living room so I could pray with Uncle Rick and ask Jesus in my heart. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! So grateful for those who shared the truth with me too! BTW, thank you for your encouraging commet on my recent post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jennie. As much as much as Gh is makes me cry, I'm very appreciative of the time you took to write it. I'm in the same boat as you because Tom Asbury lead me to the Lord too. In the sweet bye and bye..... Dara Asbury

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to visit. It is an honor to have you drop by. We would love to hear from you.
If you do not have a Google account you can still sign in by clicking on "anonymous". Just be sure to leave your name in your post so I know who stopped by.
Thanks again, Jennie